The Eagle Flyer

Crazy jobs you won’t believe exist

AFP/Getty Images

AFP/Getty Images

Seth Sinclair, Staff Reporter

Occupations don’t have to be the typical 9 to 5 day in a cubicle farm. People should choose the occupations and careers that not only intrigue them, but also have them be able to get out of bed and go do what they love. For the following jobs on this list, the folks who occupy them have no problem getting up and going to work.

Private island caretaker

Private island caretakers maintain and take care of private islands rented by clients on vacation. These professionals must be in overall good physical shape, not mind being solitary for long periods of time, and have a desire to work outdoors. Having a background in carpentry, plumbing, mechanics, and/or landscaping is beneficial, but not entirely necessary. Salaries for private island caretakers vary by location.

Shark tank cleaner

It’s exactly what it sounds like. Jump into a tank teeming with sharks and clean their place. Obviously, anyone keen about taking this job cannot be fearful or uncomfortable around sharks. (Let’s hope you haven’t watched any of the Jaws movies.) Shark tank cleaners must also be dive certified and with it, be able divers.

Professional foreigner

Believe it or not, companies in China will actually hire Westerners to pretend to be business partners and executives. This is because appearance is a big part of Asian culture. Having a white “executive” in the company makes the firm appear to be established, competitive, and influential. This impresses officials and clients, and this practice is usually done in second-tier Chinese cities, according to CNN. Also from CNN, most of these professionals (if you can even call them that) are out-of-work actors and models, or English teachers.

Professional TV watcher

What sounds better than getting paid to watch your favorite television show? Well, people in this job don’t relax on the couch with a bag of potato chips clicking through channels. For example, shows like “The Daily Show” and “Jimmy Kimmel Live” hire people in this position to scan through different shows and news clips so they can be used on the show. Salary-wise in 2005, “Jimmy Kimmel Live” offered $500-$600 per week for a TV watcher. Most advertisements for TV watchers offer less than minimal and are part-time gigs. Attention to detail is a crucial factor for those interested in this job.

Dog surfing instructor

Like shark tank cleaners, this job’s title tells you everything about it. Dog surfing instructors train canines how to surf. This job requires patience and love of animals (dogs especially). Teaching dogs how to ride waves, that’s it, pure and simple. Sure beats sitting in an office for eight hours a day, doesn’t it?