The Eagle Flyer

New releases to debut in February

Seth Sinclair, Staff Reporter

This February looks to be an especially exciting time in the entertainment industry. Television shows, movies, and video games will enter the consumer market scene. Here is a sampling of some of the most anticipated to hit this month.

Powerless

Powerless makes DC film history as the first-ever comedy series set in the DC Universe. Produced by Warner Bros. Television, the cast includes Vanessa Hudgens, Alan Tudyk, Danny Pudi, and Christina Kirk. Hudgens plays Emily, a young, energetic insurance adjuster specializing in “regular people” coverage against damage caused by superheroes. The colorful cast in this quirky workplace comedy discovers that a hero doesn’t always wear tights.

24: Legacy

Six months ago in the Yemen, a US Army Ranger squad kills terrorist leader Sheik Ibrahim Bin-Khalid, led by Sergeant Eric Carter (Corey Hawkins). Followers of the slain Bin-Khalid threaten the Rangers and their families, forcing them into federal witness protection. A recent attempt on Carter’s life makes it clear that he and his squad have been exposed. In order to thwart future threats, Carter teams up with brilliant and ambitious intelligence officer Rebecca Ingram (Miranda Otto). 24: Legacy promises viewers the tense, fast-paced, real-time action that made the original show so addicting.

For Honor

Developer Ubisoft Montreal with publisher Ubisoft have created an intense and visceral hack-and-slash fighting game set in the Middle Ages with a release date set on February 14, 2017 on PS4, Xbox One, and PC (however, for gamers who want a taste of the action, there is an open beta). “For Honor” contains both a single- and two-player co-op story mode and multiplayer modes. Multiplayer modes include Dominion, Duel, Brawl, Skirmish, and Elimination. For Honor sees a bloody faction war between the Knights of Europe, the Vikings of Scandinavia, and the Samurai of Japan. Solo or with friends, players get to relive medieval warfare by storming castles and fortresses, turning utter defeats into sweeping victories, and vanquishing deadly bosses in epic duels.

The Great Wall

The Great Wall is an epic historical fiction action-adventure monster film directed by Zhang Yimou and starring Matt Damon as the movie’s protagonist, along with Jing Tian, Pedro Pascal, Willem Dafoe, and Andy Lau. A force of elite warriors defends the security of humanity against mysterious creatures on one of the world’s most iconic structures — the Great Wall of China. This is Yimou’s first English-language production, and the movie holds the record for the largest film shot entirely in China.

Horizon Zero Dawn

In a post-apocalyptic world, the wilderness is dominated by nature and the Machines, fearsome mechanical creatures of unknown origin. Tribes of human hunter-gatherers fight for survival. It’s created by the developers of the critically-acclaimed “Killzone” franchise, Guerilla Games. A PS4 exclusive, Horizon Zero Dawn is set to be released on February 28, containing gameplay elements of a third-person, action-adventure, role-playing game (RPG).

The LEGO Batman Movie

A spin-off and sequel to The LEGO Movie, The LEGO Batman Movie is a 3D computer-animated superhero comedy centered on the blocky superhero and his quirky adventures protecting Gotham City. Will Arnett plays the voice of the iconic protector, with Zach Galifianakis voicing the Joker and Michael Cera voicing Batman’s sidekick Robin. The film was released in US cinemas on February 10th. In Gotham City, the new police commissioner restructures the police force to fight crime without the help of Batman. However, Batman discovers a sinister plot to take over Gotham by his arch-nemesis, the Joker. Batman must team up with his sidekick Robin and learn to work alongside his fellow heroes to defeat Joker and his schemes.

John Wick: Chapter 2

Master assassin John Wick (Keanu Reeves) is called out of retirement by an associate who informs Wick of a plot to seize control of a sub-rosa guild of international assassins. Wick, bound by an oath of blood to help his colleague, travels to Rome to stop the conspiracy. Directed by Chad Stahelski and produced by Summit Entertainment, Chapter 2 was released in US theaters on February 10th.

Legion

David Haller (Dan Stevens) is a troubled schizophrenic young man who’s been in and out of psychiatric hospitals for most of his life. After an encounter with newly arrived patient Syd (Rachel Keller), Haller realizes that the voices and visions in his mind may in fact be real. Produced by FX Productions, Legion is based on the Marvel Comics character Legion, written by Chris Claremont and drawn by artist Bill Sienkiewicz.