The Eagle Flyer

Talented track takes on a retreat

Back to Article
Back to Article

Talented track takes on a retreat

Elise Wojnowski, Staff Reporter

The varsity track team loaded up the cars and headed to Dave and Buster’s on Friday March 3, for food and games, followed by a quick drive to the nearby theatre to see Hidden Figures. This retreat offered each member of the team a chance to connect and grow with their fellow teammates and coaches.

Kicking off the retreat, the team drove by down to Mission Valley for a night of games and challenges. However, there were several obstacles in getting there.

“On the ride there, Peter Ferguson and I got lost on the freeway, and we didn’t know which exit to take,” thrower Johnny Long (‘18) said. “We ended up driving in circles for 20 minutes on the freeway because we didn’t know where to go.”

Later in the evening after the games and the movie, Coach Jennifer Sedlock talked to the team about inspiration and their future.

“My favorite part of the retreat was when Coach Sedlock spoke and did a devotion,” Emily Thurman (‘19) said. “She taught us to follow our dreams and be inspired, to have a plan for our future.”

This retreat gave everyone a chance to grow closer, not only as a team, but also as a family. Making memories as they went along, the track team united, where they formed new friendships and strengthened old ones.

“Coach Medrano made it so we were put in groups with different people so we can get to know and connect with the other athletes on the team that we don’t usually talk to,” Peter Ferguson (‘17) said.
Having the opportunity to connect with the teammates off the track was a benefit to everyone who participated. Coach Bev Medrano put together this retreat as a way to connect and grow closer, and that’s exactly what happened. Giving the team freedom to have fun with each other, but also settle in and focus when needed, helped them all to become better people, not only in Christ, but on the track too.