The Eagle Flyer

Females Facing Adversity

Heidi Swigart, Staff Reporter

It is a common occurrence on the sidelines of games to hear about the injured athletes who sit out as a result. Ordinary talk includes information of the football player that got a concussion, the basketball player with a torn ACL, and the track star who is constantly re-injured. What is not so frequently heard of is the injuries and challenges faced by female competitors.

“Throughout volleyball season, I played with a shoulder and back injury from overuse,” varsity volleyball captain Hali Galloway (‘17) said. “There was no way I was going to sit out, especially my senior year.”

Even though she was encouraged to take some time to rest her overworked hitting shoulder, Galloway refused. Her love of the sport and the necessity of her presence on the court were the two driving factors in her decision to continue playing despite constant pain.

“During the game against Parker, a girl rammed into me, at first only knocking the air out of my lungs; later I found out that I had contusions on my ribs,” varsity basketball player Taylor Beasley (‘18) said. “At a later game something similar happened; that time my ribs were misplaced”.

Much pain accompanied Beasley’s injury, but she spent no time on the bench, playing in all 28 games of the 2016-17 girls basketball season. Another similar injury happened to varsity cheerleader captain Gabby Salibo (‘17), whose rib was knocked out of place in a stunting mishap.

“I couldn’t take time off so I didn’t go to the doctor until season ended,” Salibo said. “The doctor didn’t know what was wrong but basically said it could be my ribcage, lung, spleen, or intercostal muscles; it’s still undiagnosed.”

Another athlete, Morganne Kenney (’17) had injured her left ankle on numerous occasions and continued playing soccer and basketball, never allowing the pain to hinder her performance.

“I originally injured my ankle in a basketball game sophomore year, but I kept playing the whole season and summer; it healed wrong so I needed surgery in September of junior year,” varsity basketball captain Kenney said. “That surgery didn’t fix my broken ankle; I played for two more seasons and had another surgery at the beginning of March.”

Shoulders, backs, ribs, and ankles only hit the surface of female athletic injuries. Injuries affect all sports, and it’s important to shed light on all of the strong athletes who participate in these sports. While injuries might slow an athlete down, players show spirit and tenacity as they keep fighting and playing through adversity.