The Eagle Flyer

Basketball seniors say their goodbyes

Livie Trillizio, Staff Reporter

Well into their closing season, players reminisced their final year of basketball at this year’s senior night. At this home game versus Marantha, friends, family, coaches, and players joined together to remember their high school careers and look forward to their hopeful futures.

Whether it has been a player’s first year or fourth year in the sport, all of the athletes were overcome with mixed emotions. As the girls’ and guys’ teams have grown together, seniors find it hard to say goodbye while simultaneously remembering all of the good memories that this sport has brought to them.

“I am going to miss playing basketball very much, as it is one of my passions and where some of my greatest memories have come from,” Noah Curry (‘17) said. “I have formed brother-like relationships with my teammates. We have been through a lot together.”

Through tournaments in Hesperia, service trips to Los Angeles, CIF championships, games in Catalina, numerous mission trips, losses and triumphs, and everyday practices, these teams have seen it all and the seniors are thankful to be by each others’ side at the end of it all. Although they have a passion for this sport, in hindsight, it is the bonds they have created and strengthened that they are most thankful for.

“I am definitely going to miss all of my teammates that I have grown close with,” Bree Perkins (‘17) said. “Throughout all of our experience over the years, I have learned a lot working together as a team.”

As players have advanced physically and tactically on the court, they have also been maturing mentally and spiritually on and off the court through their coach, Stan Bickley. As he has led Bible studies, mission trips, and daily devotions, players see him as a coach who doubles as a role model.

“I have been privileged to be able to invest in these kids in a lasting way,” Coach Stan Bickley said. “While basketball is one of my biggest passions, what happens off the court is more important.”