The Eagle Flyer

Leaping to state; Matthew DeRoos long and triple jump

Chloe Ryan, Student Life Editor

Senior season is finally here and six-year track star Matthew DeRoos is well-trained for his upcoming competition. With hours of hard work and integrity, DeRoos spends each day training his body to persistently excel his jumps. As his season is around the corner, the training continues, as DeRoos endures the hard work that contributes to his success.

Pursuing track since seventh grade, DeRoos has learned the technicalities that contribute to his knowledge in the realm of the track world.

“It takes an innumerous amount of time to postulate the angles and structure to enhance your ability to excel,” Deroos said. “This allows you to obtain a higher level of performance.”

Although DeRoos devotes each track practice to long and triple jump, every day consists of strenuous training for multiple hours.

“I spend a majority of my time weightlifting at home,” DeRoos said. “On the weekends I drive an hour to Vista Murrieta to practice with my private coach, Coach Kieffer.”

The hyperactivity and commitment have paid off, as DeRoos has been to state the past two years of his track season. Placing fifth in long jump and eighth in triple this past year, DeRoos’ goal this year is to take first place at state.

“With the help of my coaches, I have been able to put my main focus on track rather than basketball this year,” DeRoos said. “In doing this, I hope to achieve my goal of first place at state.”

Track not only is rewarding to self-achievers. DeRoos has participated in the men’s 4×1 relay for six years. Serving as a prominent anchor, DeRoos strives to finish the race first, despite how far the team has fallen behind.

“It’s a good change because there is a team aspect for the 4×1,” DeRoos said. “It’s a fun change from my individual events.”

Daily workouts, a humble attitude, and repetitive practices, Deroos has been awarded school MVP the past six years. His integrity and positive attitude have made DeRoos a quality leader and example for the team, as he has occupied the position of team captain the last year and this upcoming season.

“With the title of MVP I have been able to influence the younger kids,” DeRoos said. “It has been an honor to have the MVP title in TCCS track all six years.”

Along with his performance as an athlete, DeRoos admires the strong relationship the team builds throughout the season. Giving God the glory, DeRoos is thankful for such an incredible sport and coaches.

“Since there is a lot of downtime between training, there is a big social aspect to track,” DeRoos said. “I am able to strengthen relationships and get to know my coaches.”

DeRoos is committed to the UCLA track and field team, graduating in ‘21. He cannot believe his opportunity to be part of such a prestige school and team.

“It’s amazing to be an athlete in such a big school,” DeRoos said. “UCLA has been my dream school since my freshman year and to be able to attend it is such a blessing.”With a bright future ahead of him, and a humble heart to stay, DeRoos looks forward to his season as an eagle and a bruin. Devoted to track and committed to his team, he hopes to lead many to success this season, as he looks to the future to live out his dream of jumping in college.