The Eagle Flyer

Gabby Salibo: Flying to the top

Chloe Ryan, Student Life Editor

Senior, varsity cheer captain, and flyer Gabby Salibo has learned the fundamentals of being a captain and a crucial asset to her team through years of sweat and tears on the mats. Balancing her title as captain, editor-in-chief of the school newspaper, and the game of basketball that’s new to her, Salibo exemplifies a godly, humble heart despite the abilities she has been gifted with. Her greatest passion, cheerleading, has been an essential part of her life since first grade, as she presses her time, energy, and thinking into improving her team, while spreading her love for God to those around her.

It’s not the only sport Salibo enthusiastically hurries back to each season. Salibo has learned that cheerleading offers more than hyping up the individual athlete, but it has truly taught her leadership skills that helped her to ensure the team’s success through multiple tournaments.

“In cheer everyone has to rely heavily on each other,” Salibo said. “It is important to be able to build relationships with my teammates because I rely on them physically, emotionally, and mentally.”

As cheer captain, Salibo serves as a benefactor to steering the girls to success. Salibo feels that as strong believers in Christ, the team has the potential of influencing by example based on their actions towards one another on and off the mats.

“Everything we do we try to do for God’s glory and try to be that example,” Salibo said.

As a returning cheerleader, Salibo has come to notice that memories don’t always happen solely on the mats. Salibo has mentored the girls on her team, and feels blessed by the memories she has made in the past two years cheerleading at the school.

“My favorite memory by far was winning state champions last year,” Salibo said. “It was amazing sharing the win with my team.”
As senior year is halfway complete, Salibo is in search for college. She has applied to a wide range of schools, keeping in mind that her future in cheer may be no more. Applying to UCLA, USC, SLO and others, Salibo hopes to reach out as a leader in the school she devotes herself to, despite the fact she will be miles away from home.