The Eagle Flyer

Football players in their off season

Back to Article
Back to Article

Football players in their off season

Chloe Ryan, Student Life Editor

A summer loaded with exhausting workouts and camping in Bishop, games every Friday and practice never ceasing to be cancelled, the varsity boys football season was long and strenuous. Now that is over, you may be wondering how these boys survive with so much free time in their lives. Here is a glance into the day by day play below, as you may be surprised these boys aren’t as free as they appear.

1. Your typical active players who never take a break from sports

Senior Jace Mertes, a receiver and captain on the varsity football team isn’t quite ready for a break from sports just yet. Playing as a significant member on the boys varsity basketball team, this well-rounded student athlete continues his hard work keeping up his grades while spending hours on the court. While he has a passion for basketball, he looks forward to the time he has to relax after school with friends.

“It’s exhilarating to play sports, but I am looking forward to my own freetime.”

Another player taking up basketball is Christian Salibo (‘19). He sacrifices his rest time to be back on the court playing a good game of basketball. Hoping to improve his skills on the court, Salibo also continues to practice his football in order to succeed in the upcoming season.

Anthony Madden (‘17), serves as yet another player who has taken on second sport this year. Known as a fast runner, Anthony Madden’s second sport, soccer, is a perfect fit. His passion for soccer keeps him going as he looks forward to improving his playing.

Senior Justin Rodriguez, a former player on the boys basketball team, now enjoys his time after school finishing his homework in a decent hour and getting to relax from a sport. Planning on running track and field this year, he hopes to PR from his former years on track and continue conditioning to stay fit for the season.

1. The jobbies

Other players have taken on jobs in order to make some extra spending money. Eric Wojnowski (‘18), In-N-Out employee, spent the majority of his football season working only on the weekends. Now that the season is over, it is time for the cash to roll in.

1. The kick backs

Senior Luke Garrabrant is enthusiastic to go home everyday after school and hangout with friends. Not to mention his passion for surfing, he can fully enjoy the early hours in the water as he does not have practice until 6:30 everyday.

“I just like to go home and hangout with friends,” Luke Garabrant said. “I feel like I have so much more time in the day.”

Peter Ferguson (‘17), another captain of the varsity football team, is another stay-at-home kind of guy. Enjoying his off season with take out catching up on homework and sleep, Ferguson also serves as ASB president and Vice President of Key Club, getting caught up in many school activities.

1. The church committers

Senior James Frazee is often found at Calvary Vista on Wednesday nights, involved in his youth group. Frazee feels he has a lot more time for church and friends, now that football is out of the picture.

With many more players not mentioned, hopefully you have a general idea of the day in the life of a football player in off season. Although the boys aren’t playing in a game every Friday night and consuming their hours with practice, they are definitely keeping themselves occupied.