The Eagle Flyer

Olivia Rodriguez: Queen of the softball field

Running the bases, center fielder Olivia Rodriguez scores a triple after round second. The girls softball team used its senior leadership to help develop the team for future season.s

Photo by Morganne Kenney

Photo by Morganne Kenney

Hannah Cote, Staff Reporter

Olivia Rodriguez (‘17) has been playing softball since she was seven years old. Though it is only her second year at the school, Rodriguez has fit right in and continues to be passionate about her sport.

Even though she initially began playing because she had friends in softball, Rodriguez eventually developed a love for the game that has lasted through her senior year.

“I really like how competitive it can get,” Rodriguez said. “I also like the bond that you get to create with your teammates. They’re really there for you.”

Rodriguez’s positions include center and left field.  Such positions shoulder a lot of responsibility that can be overwhelming, but Rodriguez sets a good example for others.  

“It can be pressuring to play outfield because a lot depends on you,” Rodriguez continued. “I’d say that if you make a mistake, don’t let it sit in your head. Make a mental change by striving to do better next time and keep going.”

A good athlete needs coaches, friends, and family to support her. Rodriguez feels fortunate that she has been surrounded by people who have positively impacted her career through their encouragement, particularly her mother.

“My mom has always encouraged me to play,” Rodriguez said.  “She’s been there for me through all of it, so she’s definitely impacted my softball career.”

Rodriguez has many favorite memories of softball, and she hopes that many more will be made in the ongoing season.  She plans to go to community college and play softball before joining her father in running his company.