The Eagle Flyer

Cheerleaders Capture Competition at Azusa Pacific

Back to Article
Back to Article

Chloe Ryan, Student Life Editor

With pony tails high, nervous stomachs, and uniforms representing the colors red, blue and white, the school’s cheer team arrived at Azusa Pacific for their final competition of the season.That Saturday, the girls faced fierce competition but were ready to take them and the mats with confidence.

With their routine practiced down to the T, the girls were prepared to give it their all, despite all of the trials they faced. Injury, sickness and tired muscles, didn’t stop the girls in their high scoring performance.

“We lost two girls according to injuries, a week before our competition our point flyer injured her ribs and a day before competition, and one of our bases tore her rotator cuffs,” captain Gretchen Ferguson (‘18) said. “Despite all of the injured the two girls pushed passed their injuries and competed for the last time this year.”

The girls fought to the finish. Placing second in their novice division, they continued to encourage each other despite their dissatisfaction with their place.

“Although we didn’t win first place, I’m still incredibly proud of my team and how they pushed through the strife of the weeks before,” Ferguson said. “I’m thrilled to see how we progress into next season.”

Although competition is over, the girls continue to practice as their seventh period class. It’s time for the girls to begin planning for next year, and increase their overall skill level as a team.

“My favorite part about cheer is getting to spend it with all of my girls,” Taylor Fuentes (‘19) said. “Whether it is basketball season or competition, or just prepping for next year, we are always doing something productive and prepping for the next year in advance.”

Looking back at their incredible season, the girls have appreciated the relationships that have been produced on and off the mats. Spending several hours together a day, they have come to appreciate each girls dedication and hard work that makes their team a family.

“We’ve been going at this season for eight months. We’ve had ups and downs but through everything we’ve really learned how to come together and build each other up,” Captain Gabby Salibo (‘17) said. “Everything we’ve done, we’ve done together and we’re a family if anything.”

With competition over and preparation for next year to come, the girls seek to finishing the rest of the year creating more memories and expanding their abilities as a team. This season as a team has grown the girls in their faith, relationships, and skills as athletes in Christ.