The Eagle Flyer

Senior Morganne Kenney: Champion on and off the court

Mika Letuligasenoa, Staff Reporter

Being at the same school for her whole life, some may know her as just a normal senior, but she is a fun-loving, determined, and natural-born leader. As the school year begins to come to an end, Morganne Kenney (‘17) continually excels academically as well as spiritually.  Whether it is school or sports, one can count on her to do her best for the Lord.

Starting something new freshman year in high school is challenging. Although it may be a challenge, that didn’t stop Kenney’s determination. Ever since freshman year, she has still continued to play the sport she loves and is passionate about.

“As an incoming freshman I was looking to try something new and to expand my horizons in search of something that I could be passionate about,” Kenney said. “Basketball definitely filled that spot, not so much the sport itself, although I love it. The passion that Coach Bickley had for the game and for God really inspired me. That’s why I have continued to play it.”

As a point guard, shooting guard, and captain of the girls’ varsity basketball team, she has responsibilities to fulfill. In addition to playing hard and making critical choices on the court, she has to regularly encourage each of her teammates especially through the rough times they may be experiencing.

“Staying positive is huge,” Kenney said. “I remember being an underclassman and the captains would get frustrated a lot, and it really affected the whole team. I try to always have a word of encouragement for everyone because I know how frustrating the game can be at times. So definitely, being an encourager and just appreciating all of your teammates is important.”

Incorporating God in your daily life as a busy basketball player is a hard thing to do. Everyday, there is either a practice or a game. For Kenney and her team, hearing about God is not a problem; Head Coach Stan Bickley has it all covered.

“Coach Bickley does a devotion before every practice and prays before and after games,” Kenney said. “You can tell that keeping God at the center of everything is very important to him which I think rubs off on our team and helps us stay grounded in the Lord.

High school seems to go by in the blink of an eye. Knowing this, the opportunities that are given should not be taken for granted. Kenney finishes off the year with a few words of encouragement to those who plan to continue on.

“As cliché as it sounds, definitely don’t take anything for granted,” Kenny said. “I say this because it feels like it was just yesterday that I was a freshman with three years left to play after the season finished, but now I am a senior playing my last games.”
As her high school career nears the end, Kenney strives to accomplish all that she can with what time she has left. Putting an emphasis on spending time with friends and family, Kenney anticipates what the future holds for her.