The Eagle Flyer

Should students be allowed to eat in class?

Seth Sinclair, Staff Reporter

You missed snack, and you’ve got several hours until lunch. You head into class and sit down. Class begins, and the teacher commences the lesson. Your stomach grumbles and you have difficulty concentrating, so you quietly reach into your backpack to pull out your snack and gingerly open it. Just as you’re about to have a bite, the teacher looks at you and announces that you are not permitted to eat in class.

Doubtless, this has happened to the majority of us at some time or another. You’re hungry and simply want a quick morsel to tide yourself over until lunch. Now, not only have you got an empty stomach, it becomes more difficult to pay attention to the lesson.

It’s understandable why students generally are not allowed to eat in the classroom. It can be distracting and steal attention from the lesson to the food. However, not every student is as easily distracted.

Furthermore, students can get distracted when they’re hungry. A small refreshment or snack is enough to tide the hunger until lunch and regain a student’s focus back onto the lesson.

On the other hand, students should not be allowed to eat their lunch in class — that’s a little too excessive. Lunchtime is when food should be eaten, not class. When a student brings a warm meal into class before lunch, that could distract the rest of the students. There are few things more beguiling than the rich scent of hot food.

All that students want is for it to be okay to just snack on something in class. Sometimes at nutrition break students need to go see another teacher, so they don’t get the time to eat something. Students are not asking for a whole meal, just something quick and light. Here’s a final point: students cannot eat in class because it’s said to be distracting, but being hungry can be equally as distracting.