The Eagle Flyer

3 Teams, 9 Mats, 42 Cheerleaders

Jr. high cheer flashes smiles to the crowd during their big performance. Each cheer team took the opportunity to show off their skills to friends, family, and fellow peers.

Chloe Ryan, Student Life editor

3 teams, 9 mats, 42 cheerleaders. Students, families, friends, and faculty members squeezed into the school’s gym, January 7, for the all-cheer fundraiser to see what each dedicated team had to offer. With a big itinerary for the night and a even bigger turn-out of people, each individual anticipated the performances the girls prepared for the crowd.

Coach Debra Ryan, the varsity and elementary cheer coach, kicked off the night with an introduction to each cheer team and coach. Her goal through this whole fundraiser, was to raise money for the cheer teams’ equipment and raise enough funds to buy new mats.

¨We could really use some new mats and equipment,¨ Ryan said. “My hope is to eventually have a building provided to house our mats in.¨

Senior Peter Ferguson took to the mats next to introduce the varsity cheer team to perform their pep rally cheer.SInce this was the newest cheer that the girls had learned, they thrilled with excitement to their first performance in front of the crowd.

¨I enjoyed performing the pep rally cheer,” Cami Alvarado (´19) said. ¨I loved the spirit that we expressed as we showcased our cool stunts and jumps to music.¨

After watching the varsity team perform, the elementary team was inspired and ready to perform their competition cheer. Each girl spirited onto the mats, finding their relatives and sending a big smile as they set to perform what they have been working on for several months.

Up next again was Varsity cheer with their performance cheer. The girls often use this cheer as a warm-up in their competition, to get familiar with the mats as they also learn to get the crowd involved.  

¨The performance cheer really captures our teams involvement with the crowd, ”Taylor Fuentes (´19) said. ¨It also helps us with comfortability on the mats as we perform this before our competition cheer.¨

Christian Salibo (‘19), another emcee, introduced the junior high team to perform their competition cheer. Once the girls were ready on the mats, they were set to keep the crowds attention.

¨I was a bit nervous before performing our competition cheer,” Lili Salibo (‘22) said. ¨Once I got out onto the mats, I was just ready to perform.”

Wrapping up the individual performances, varsity cheer was up next to perform their competition cheer. The crowd screamed loudly as the girls impressed them with their high level of stunts, jumps, and mechanics.
At last, all 42 cheerleaders took the mats as a whole. Doing several sideline cheers, the teams’ showed their spirit and the crowd yelled their support. Overall, the All Cheer Showcase was a success for the audience and the teams. Each girl looked forward to the rest of their season as they have many performances in the near future.