The Eagle Flyer

Take10: New Year, New Me

Back to Article
Back to Article

Take10: New Year, New Me

Hannah Cote, Staff Reporter

2017 has arrived: people have made their resolutions, started their goal journals, and some may have already begun putting their plans into action. The new year is just beginning, and there are infinite possibilities of what can be accomplished. On that note, there are also an infinite number of things that can go wrong. It is an unpredictable world we live in, so, despite the dozens of inspirational quotes you scribbled down that say otherwise, we need to be reasonable with the goals we set for ourselves and realize our limits to prevent ourselves from becoming overwhelmed or frustrated. With that said, the new year is also a beautiful opportunity to grow into a more mature, more knowledgeable version of yourself, if you do it correctly.

Ephesians 4:22-24 says: “You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.” That’s all nice and peachy, but how exactly are we supposed to put off our old selves and put on the new? Proverbs 23:18 says: “There is surely a future hope for you, and your hope will not be cut off.” This means that first we have to trust that God has a sure plan for each and every one of our futures, and we must remain hopeful and trusting.

But God also tells us in Ecclesiastes 3:1 that: “To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under heaven.” After we put our complete trust in God and His plan, we have to understand that there will be good and bad times included in that plan. When we are going through a bad “season,” however, we can stay hopeful because we know that there will be good times to come as well. Still, it is during those bad times when we need to remember that sometimes it can be good to make mistakes. Mistakes are also learning opportunities, and as long we learn, mistakes are beneficial to our growth and maturity.

Anne Shirley, from the famed classic Anne of Green Gables, once said, “Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” We should all have this kind of outlook on life, and not just on New Year’s Eve. It’s okay to make mistakes – you’re human. This year, don’t make it a top priority to lose weight, get better grades, or find the love of your life; aim to mature, grow, and, most importantly, learn.