The Eagle Flyer

A feast for champions: Football closes out a great season

Back to Article
Back to Article

Gretchen Ferguson, Backpage Editor

The football season came to a close with the end of the year banquet. On Saturday, January 7, football players and coaches joined their families for a lunch celebrating the conclusion of their amazing season.

The banquet offered the players some much needed closure. It helped put an end to the joy and regret with which the CIF championship game left them.

“The banquet was great,” outside linebacker Eric Wojnowski (‘18) said. “Because it was the last thing we all needed to put the season behind us, we are ready to be fully committed to next season.”

Players not only dedicated their time to being the best they could be during game time, they also spent countless hours prepping themselves in the off season.

“We are hitting the weight room a lot in our off-season,” head coach Shane Goodwin said. “The coaches and I have been meeting every other week to plan out our scheme for next year and we have been recruiting the student body who doesn’t play.”

The players spent the afternoon reflecting on the season they had left behind. Although there were bumps in the road, the end result was legendary as the team was the first in school history to make it to the CIF Championship.

“My favorite memory of playing football has to be watching Anthony Madden’s (‘17) three touchdown runs in the championship game,” quarterback Zach Reitmeyer (‘18) said. “It was insane to watch him run. He would break and leave people in the dust. He was playing like a total beast!”

The importance of working as a team was a crucial part of the boys’ lives on and off the field. Not only will the seniors be missed on the field, they will also be missed around the hallways and in classes at school.

“I love the brotherhood football builds,” wide receiver Matt Clark (‘17) said. “It is so difficult to find anywhere else. This football season ending not only meant that I was losing a game that I loved, but that the daily connection to the guys I fully put my trust in is coming to an end.”

Overall, the season ended with a final score of 10-3 and a total of 65 touchdowns. The players and coaches pulled off a phenomenal season and only more success is expected to come in the future.