The Eagle Flyer

Who would win? Basketball vs. Soccer

Back to Article
Back to Article

Who would win? Basketball vs. Soccer

Photo by Gabby Salibo

Photo by Gabby Salibo

Photo by Gabby Salibo

Morganne Kenney, Editor in Chief, Opinions Editor

Basketball

Average NBA player: 6’7

Average NBA weight: 221 pounds

Average WNBA player weight: 6

Average WNBA player weight: 169 pounds

Soccer

Average Pro Male Player height: 6’

Average Pro Male Player weight: 162 pounds

Average Pro Female Player height: 5’7

Average Pro Female Player weight: 143 pounds

Game Length

The length of a soccer game is 90 minutes, split into two 45 minute halves and the length of a basketball game is 32-48 minutes split into 4-12 minute quarters or 4-8 minute quarters.

So obviously there are some major differences between soccer and basketball athletes, height and weight being some of the most apparent. On average, a male (NBA) basketball player is 59 pounds heavier and 7 inches taller than a male professional soccer player. When it comes to women the difference in height and weight is just as obvious: a female basketball player (WNBA) is 5 inches taller and 26 pounds heavier than a professional female soccer player. Now these are professional basketball and soccer players, not just average high school sports athletes, but the difference is still very apparent.

Soccer players are lean, toned and tend to be shorter because of the extreme agility demanded by the game. Soccer athletes need to be in exceptional shape, on average an athlete runs more than seven miles in a game full of sprints, changes of direction and explosive speed. The real mark of a good player is their mental toughness; soccer is a long and grueling game with basically no breaks. Players need to be competitive, determined, and be able to bounce back from any and all setbacks.

Basketball players tend to be tall, even though shooting guards and point guards can be shorter than the average player. Basketball athletes also tend to be heavier than professional athletes in other sports because of the physical strength (aka muscles) needed to be able to compete on the court. Athletes also need to have the ability to jump and have explosive speed to sprint the court for the full four quarters of the game.  

Now what would happen if you put a basketball player in a soccer game or a soccer player in a basketball game? Both kind of athletes require mental toughness, awareness, coachability, determination, speed and agility, and the ability to impact the game. However, the two sports are extremely different. One can only imagine what would happen if you put an NBA player in a professional soccer game or vice versa.