The Eagle Flyer

Running back Anthony Madden runs the ball to victory

Staying ahead of the defense, running back Anthony Madden ('17) runs the ball toward the end zone. The Eagles went on to win against Desert Christian 40-21.

Chloe Ryan, Student Life Editor

One may know him as the leading scorer on the varsity football team, but in the face of all the fame, this running back has a lot more to his character. Looking completely at home on the football field, senior Anthony Madden is known for his quick breaks, great defense, and energetic spirit. Playing since his freshman year for the school, Madden hopes to persistently achieve his goals. He strives to set an example for all players on his team and his sportsmanship is evident on and off the field.

Describing the game of football as his “passion,” Madden’s general love for the sport is enough to explain why he continues to play football. With all that football has to offer, he has a high respect for the game, coaches, and his teammates.

“It’s what I love,” Madden said. “Playing with my friends makes the sport a whole lot better.”

Other than his love for the game, Madden feels there are certain qualities to forming a strong, dignified team. While these qualities are truly important in making a united team, he feels that God needs to remain the team’s main focus.

“I think a strong brotherly bond is a good quality for a strong team,” Madden said. “With everyone working together and building each other up, I feel we are unstoppable.”

While Madden feels encouraged by a powerful team of brothers, he is also able to perform excellent plays on his offensive side. His high-scoring potential keeps him feeling accomplished.

“I was super excited scoring 5 touchdowns the first game of the season,” Madden said. 

Overall, Madden’s love for the game is evident in his playing, compassion for his teammates, and energetic high scoring abilities. Although he does not intend to play in the future, Madden’s drive will push him toward excellence in all he pursues.